Harmonic (NASDAQ: HLIT) today announced groundbreaking new technology that enables cable operators to provide compelling new two-way gigabit services. Harmonic’s unique upstream gigabit solution is full spectrum and compatible with already-deployed cable modems and set-top boxes (STBs). This new technology has been integrated into Harmonic’s CableOS® core software and its new Ripple+ network edge platform. The company also announced that Comcast is the first operator to conduct a field trial of this new technology.
“Upstream bandwidth demand continues to intensify, as more people work from home and participate in distance learning,” said Nimrod Ben-Natan, Senior Vice President and General Manager, Cable Access Business at Harmonic. “Leveraging our latest CableOS cloud-native and distributed network edge platforms, the cable industry now has the tools to meet growing bandwidth demand and offer market-leading symmetric gigabit services today, without costly cable modem or set-top box replacement.”
“We’re excited to continue our work to evolve 10G technologies as we begin our efforts to extend those benefits to customers, and we value the important work Harmonic has done to support those efforts,” said Elad Nafshi, Senior Vice President of Next-Generation Access Networks at Comcast Cable.
With Harmonic’s new CableOS Ripple+ network edge platform, cable operators can:
- Deliver upstream and downstream bandwidth up to full spectrum without changing installed DOCSIS 3.1 cable modems or STBs;
- Implement any HFC spectrum split and node configuration, including 2×4 segmentation, spanning traditional node placement to fiber deep, with unified network edge hardware;
- Seamlessly evolve from traditional HFC architectures to fiber-deep to fiber-to-the-home (FTTH) PON deployments through simple module reconfigurations of the unified edge platform;
- Ensure uninterrupted distributed edge platform operation during power outages; and
- Solve backbone capacity bottlenecks and address time sensitive applications with new deep edge compute capability.
Harmonic will showcase its expanding CableOS solution at the virtual SCTE•ISBE Cable-Tec Expo, Oct. 12-15. To learn more about Harmonic’s presence at the Cable-Tec Expo and to schedule a meeting, visit https://info.harmonicinc.com/scte-cable-tec-expo-showcase-2020/.
Harmonic’s market-leading CableOS solution powers more than 2 million cable modems for a growing number of innovative cable operators worldwide. Further information about Harmonic and the company’s solutions is available at www.harmonicinc.com.